<img height="1" width="1" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=1080553808706047&ev=PageView &noscript=1"/>
01902 577000 web@carvers.co.uk

Items in Your Cart

A Short History of Carvers

  • The Beginning 1896
    The Carvers business was established by Harry Carver. It was based in Willenhall.
  • Queens Street 1914
    The business opened a branch in Queens Street Goods Station in Wolverhampton.
  • Roland Carver 1918
    Roland Carver, Harry’s son joined the business.
  • Ltd 1924
    The business became a limited company.
  • Succession 1942
    Harry Carver, the founder, died and his son Geoffrey, who had joined the company just before the war, was killed in active service, leaving Roland to run the company.
  • Post War 1947
    John Carver, Roland’s eldest son joined the company after completing his military service and Carvers expanded once more, taking advantage of the requirement for new housing in the post war years.
  • Carver Oils 1964
    Turnover had now reached £500,000 and Roy Carver (John’s brother) had joined the business. John and Roy Carver started Carver Oils Limited which specialised in the distribution of oil to domestic and commercial customers.
  • Carver Gases 1974
    Carver Gases was started as a separate business filling bottled gas.
  • Henry Carver Joins 1983
    Roy’s son Henry joined the company after completing a BA (Hons) Business Studies & Diploma in Marketing and spending some time at other merchants.
  • Timber 1986
    Carvers entered the timber business by acquiring the stock, staff and machinery of the Malden Timber Branch in Featherstone and moving them onto the Littles Lane site.
  • Quality Assurance 1993
    The company successfully achieved BS5750 quality management and is currently certified to ISO9001-2008 its successor. The company also acquired S Jackson & Company Limited, who specialised in the sale of timber to major house builders.
  • Hire Centre 1998
    Championed by Roy Carver, Carver’s established a Hire Centre facility for their customers at Littles Lane and this together with associated power tools sales has been another successful diversification within the building industry.
  • Wolverhampton Marathon 1998
    Carvers sponsor and underwrite the first Carver Wolverhampton Marathon event and raise £26,000 to support the new Wolverhampton St John Ambulance headquarters.
  • Sad Times 2000
    Sadly in 2000 Roy Carver passed away suddenly and the following year in 2001 saw the loss of John Carver.
  • Engineered Timber Solutions 2004
    The company established Engineered Timber Solutions Ltd with Phil Sankey as a 50/50 joint-venture business designing, manufacturing and selling timber roof trusses.
  • Expansion 2008
    With sales up to £34 million and over 220 staff, Ivan Savage retired as Sales Director and Andrell Dinham was appointed Construction Materials Sales Director, Steve Moore as Timber Operations Sales Director and Richard Boult Purchasing Director.
  • The Fire 2012
    On Wednesday 29th February the Company suffered a devastating fire, which destroyed warehousing, offices and stock. The future of the company hung in the balance, but the following day, Henry released a statement vowing to ‘regroup and rebuild a bigger and better Carvers’.
  • Phoenix Rises 2014
    December 2014 saw Carvers launch their brand new, purpose built Builders Village housing new franchises Tile Choice, S. J. Dixons Decorating, Rayton Electrical and Chandlers Roofing and featuring new Kitchen and Bathroom showrooms, two storey decorating showroom, specialist trade counters and a new café.
  • Franchise Changes 2016
    Carvers welcomed an additional franchise, Bespoke Windows to the Carver team and Chandlers Roofing was replaced by Carver Roofing.
  • Exemplary Leadership 2017
    Henry Carver received the Business Person of the Year Award at the Express and Star Business Awards for his exemplary leadership in the aftermath of the Carver fire. The Carver Wolverhampton Marathon Events celebrate their 20th Anniversary. During the past 20 years the events have raised in excess of £350,000 for local charities.